USO



I spent yesterday volunteering at the Atlanta USO, making 480 turkey sandwiches. These sandwiches were for 4000+ returning troops. Most of these soldiers were returning overseas, after they had completed their R&R over Christmas. I didn't feel that it was right to take any pictures of these men and women. Most looked very haggard, some were sleeping or just looked emotionally drained.

It was very different being on the giving and not receiving end at this USO. Two years ago, I spent 10 hours waiting for my husband to come home on R&R. His flight was delayed and then he was bumped. Let me tell you 10 hours with 4 kids was very long. I can't tell you how many times we went up and down the elevator to the restroom.

Our fellow volunteers were soldiers from Fort MacPherson. The military allows them so much time during work hours to volunteer at the USO. It is very convenient and just a Marta train ride away.

If you get a chance, take a couple of hours and volunteer at your airport's USO. Or find out what can be donated. Everyone of these soldiers were handed a phone card as left to go back overseas. I will try to find my list, it is here somewhere and will update later, items that can be donated.

0 comments: