http://www.cherokeetribune.com/content/index/showcontentitem/area/9/section/29/item/124575.html

Here is a link to a newspaper article in my local Sunday Newspaper. I am the Chairwoman of the Operation Coupon Program for my American Legion Auxiliary Unit. Here are some tips on how to support our military families overseas. Send them your expired coupons.

National Security
Coupon Program

The purpose of the Coupon Program, is to offer additional savings, to our overseas military families, that are living in areas that have a high cost of living. Many of these families can not afford to live in these environments, so they rely on expired coupons to make ends meet.

What do I do and How and do I get started?


Collect coupons
  • Please do not send, rebate forms, restaurant coupons or store specific coupons, that say redeem only at "Publix".
  • Coupons can be found just about anywhere, magazines, the Sunday paper, free newspapers thrown in your yard. Coupon machines in the grocery stores and in products that you purchase. Its amazing where you can find these wonderful cost savings creatures.
  • Ask your friends, neighbors, church groups, Girl Scout Troops, Starbucks, Library's, etc to collect coupons for you. Many people just throw them away or only cut what they need.
  • Coupons can be used up to six months after their expiration date at the overseas commissaries.
  • It is best to only send coupons that have been expired for two months. Because of the time it takes to ship overseas and the time it takes for the Commissary or MWR to sort these coupons, they could expire and never be used.

Sort, Sort, Sort


  • Coupons need to be sorted into two groups. Food and Non-food. You can further sort by putting items in to Health and Beauty, Frozen, Cat/Dog, Baby, etc. Its up to you.
  • Place all sorted coupons in Ziploc bags, this makes it easier to pack and unpack.
  • Coupons need to be counted for our annual report. Place in like groups and count. Or you can estimate, your average Sunday paper has at least $125 worth of coupons in it. Most sales stands will tell you that weeks savings.

Where do I send my coupons and what is the best way to send them?

  • Go to http://www.ocpnet.org/base_list.htm to adopt a base.
  • You can request, flat rate APO/AE Priority boxes from the USPS, you can send coupons for $9.30. I was using a different box, rectangular in shape. This box typically held 7lbs, but I have been able to fit 11lbs. I have not used the flat rate box yet, but will report on how much will fit in it.
  • You must fill out a "long" custom's form, it is white. This looks very intimidating, but really is not. Description should be coupons. Please call me if you have any questions how to fill out this form.

2 comments:

Mimi from Peachy Papaya said...

Wow, This is such a great idea... I use to send my expires to a few family that was overseas, but now I can help more families...

One question that I do have is how do you calculate the contribitions?

MP0807 said...

I basically "round" by using the dollar amount published at the newspaper stand.